CONSTRUCTION: Metallized polyester capacitors are available only in extended foil (non-inductive) construction.
LEADS: Copperweld (steel, coated with 30% copper by weight and tinplated with 60-40 Sn-Pb) is standard and may be soldered or welded in circuit assembly.
TEMPERATURE RANGE: May be operated at rated DC voltage from -55° to + 85°C or to + 125°C at voltages indicated by derating curves.
ELECTRICAL (NON-DESTRUCTIVE) TEST:
- Capacitance shall be measured at or referred to at 1000 ± 20 Hz at 25 ± 5°C for capacitance values up to and including 1.0 mfd. Capacitance values greater than 1.0 mfd. shall be measured at 60 ± 6 Hz.
Ref: MIL-STD-202E, Method 305.
- Dissipation factor shall be measured as described for capacitance and shall not exceed 1.0%. Typical values, throughout the temperature range, are given on curves.
- Insulation resistance shall be measured as follows:
50 - 100V at 25°C 10,000 MEG/MFD, need not exceed 40,000 Megohms.
200V + at 25°C 25,000 MEG/MFD, need not exceed 60,000 Megohms.
Ref: MIL-STD-202E, Method 302.
- Dielectric Strength: Capacitors shall withstand specified DC potential for 1 minute through a limiting resistance of 1 Ohm/Volt.
Terminal to Terminal -- 150% of DC rating.
Terminal to Case -- 200% of DC rating.
Ref: MIL-STD-202E, Method 301.
- Dielectric Absorption: Shall not exceed 0.6% when tested to MIL-C-19978D.
- Vibration: Capacitors will meet or exceed the requirements of MIL-STD-202E, Method 204.
- Moisture resistance: Capacitors will meet or exceed the requirements of MIL-STD-202E, Method 103B, condition B, with 500 VDC or rated voltage applied, whichever is less.
- Life Test: Capacitors will withstand 140% of the rated DC voltage for 250 hours at 85°C. No more than 1 failure in 12 units permitted when tested.
- Lead Pull Test: The leads on the capacitors shall withstand a steadily applied axial pull of 5 lbs. for one minute.
Available on short notice -- special shapes, values, characteristics, combination sections and networks. Non-metallic cases or fabricated steel and brass with glass-to-metal seals. Engineering service is expert and prompt.
Metallized polyester capacitors in Style "V" premolded plastic cases eliminate problems of insulation, environment, space and weight. These units have consistently met the environmental requirements of MIL-C-55514A and moisture resistance per MIL-STD-202E, Method 103B.
Metallized polyester capacitors combine the reliability of self-healing action with high dielectric strength and insulation resistance of polyester film.
Metallized polyester capacitors are designed primarily for DC application -- blocking, coupling, decoupling, bypass, DC line filtering -- where RF and audio components are small in comparison to DC rating. However, they have been used very successfully in such AC power applications as power factor correction and AC line filtering.
Metallized polyester capacitors operate at all temperatures from -55°C to +85°C, derate to 50% at + 125°C.